Newfoundland and Labrador
Learn about HPV vaccine access and coverage in Newfoundland and Labrador. Find out who can get a publicly funded HPV vaccine, where they can get it, and how much it costs to purchase it privately.
Download the map of HPV vaccine access and coverage in Canada.
HPV vaccine (type and dosage) administered
GARDASIL®9 is administered according to the NACI recommended immunization schedule for HPV vaccines.1
Accessing publicly funded HPV vaccination in school
Children receive the HPV vaccine in school in grade 6.2
Accessing publicly funded HPV vaccination outside of school
Individuals who missed the vaccine series in grade 6 (females since 2007 and males since 2017) can get it for free through Public Health Nursing. Primary care providers, physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses and pharmacists4 can administer the vaccine. Prescriptions are technically not required for the HPV vaccine5 unless the individual is purchasing it themselves*.
Accessing HPV vaccination outside of publicly funded programs
Individuals who did not receive the vaccine in school can speak with their community health nurse or local public health office about getting it.2 If recommended, the vaccine series can be purchased privately for $510 to $630 (total cost for three doses)**. Some individuals may receive partial or full coverage for the HPV vaccine through their private health insurance plan, although access varies by jurisdiction, insurance provider and individual plans*.
*Prescriptions for the HPV vaccine are often required for private health insurance coverage. Primary care providers, physicians, nurse practitioners and pharmacists4 can prescribe the HPV vaccine.
**Based on the list price for GARDASIL®9. Costs range due to varied pharmacy mark-ups and injection fees.
- Goyette A, Yen GP, Racovitan V, Bhangu P, Kothari S, Franco EL. Evolution of Public Health Human Papillomavirus Immunization Programs in Canada. Curr Oncol 2021; 28(1): 991-1007.
- Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. Newfoundland and Labrador Immunization Manual. 2019. Available from: https://www.gov.nl.ca/hcs/files/publichealth-cdc-s2-routine-imztn-schedules.pdf
- Diamond LM, Clarfield LE, Forte M. Vaccinations against human papillomavirus missed because of COVID-19 may lead to a rise in preventable cervical cancer. CMAJ 2021; 193(37).
- Canadian Pharmacists Association. Injection Authority and Vaccine Administration in Pharmacies Across Canada. 2022. Available from: https://www.pharmacists.ca/cpha-ca/function/utilities/pdf-server.cfm?thefile=/cpha-on-the-issues/Immunization_Authority_Chart.pdf
- National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities. Outline of the Schedules.. Available from: https://www.napra.ca/sites/default/files/documents/Schedules-Outline.pdf