Road to recovery: Cancer in the COVID-19 era
Actions needed and solutions from across Canada
The COVID-19 pandemic has intensified pre-existing pressures and created new challenges for Canada’s cancer system. These challenges must be addressed to ensure timely access to screening, diagnosis and treatment for people across the country; to protect the mental health and well-being of cancer care providers; and to enhance the system’s capacity to deliver equitable, high-quality services.
Doing so will require policymakers and cancer system players to focus on several key areas now and over the long term — drawing on and adding to the many examples of innovative, practical actions already being taken across the country.
How we’re supporting our partners
The Canadian Partnership Against Cancer is working closely with partners across the country to support leading practices in cancer care while also ensuring resources are made available in the health system to address pandemic-related challenges. Ongoing initiatives include:
- Enhancing access to smoking cessation support
- Providing guidance for management of cancer surgery during the pandemic
- Supporting radiotherapy treatment centres
- Supporting people with cancer in Quebec being screened for COVID-19
- Increasing support for the elderly in St. John’s through paramedics trained in providing palliative care
- Supporting cancer journey during the pandemic for First Nations, Inuit and Métis
- Providing support to provinces and territories seeking ways to implement lung cancer and colorectal cancer screening practices during the pandemic
- Implementing models of care that can support jurisdictions facing health human resource challenges
- Creating an action plan for the elimination of cervical cancer in Canada
- Providing guidance on building resilient screening services and programs
How others are supporting pandemic recovery
Other healthcare organizations are developing COVID-19 related products and data-based tools that focus on the impacts of COVID-19. Explore the resources designed to support pandemic recovery efforts.
- Healthcare Excellence Canada: Pandemic Recovery and Resilience Self-Assessment and Toolkit
- Canadian Institute for Health Information: Overview: COVID-19’s impact on health care systems
- Cancer Quality Council of Ontario: Onset of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on the Ontario cancer system
Share your solutions
Is your organization putting in place innovative practices to solve the health human resources crunch, prepare for the coming surge in cancer cases or leverage the potential of digital technologies?
Contact us to submit your project for future inclusion in this digital product.email to Send us an email