Innovative Approaches to Optimal Cancer Care in Canada
April 7 – 8, 2017
Thank you for attending the inaugural Innovative Approaches to Optimal Cancer Care in Canada conference. We were excited to present this unique opportunity for Canada’s leaders in cancer control and quality to shine a light on our collective impact and inspire each other to take up innovative practices.
We will continue to update this section of the site as we release the highlights from the conference.
PROGRAM & ABSTRACTS
Throughout the conference, we heard from renowned international and Canadian speakers who explored four key themes:
- Quality initiatives
- Economics of high-quality care
- Improving the quality of cancer diagnosis
- Overcoming inertia in the cancer system: Why don’t we do what we know works?
Below is an outline of the scientific program.
The conference was CME accredited, allowing clinicians to earn credits toward their continuing medical education.
To access more details or to view the abstracts that were presented in the program in more detail, please visit the abstract portal.
Thank you to all of the International and Canadian speakers who took the stage over the two days.
- David Currow, Chief Cancer Officer, New South Wales
- Chris Harrison, National Clinical Director for Cancer, NHS England
- Greg Rubin, Professor of General Practice and Primary Care, Durham University, UK
- Eric Schneider, Senior Vice President for Policy and Research, The Commonwealth Fund
- Michael Wallington, Senior Public Health Intelligence Analyst, National Cancer Registration and Analysis Service, Public Health England
CANADIAN THOUGHT LEADERS
- Armen Aprikian, Chief of Urology, McGill University Health Centre
- Adalsteinn Brown, Director, Institute of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto
- Stirling Bryan, Director, Centre for Clinical Epidemiology & Evaluation
- Heather Bryant, Vice President, Cancer Control, Canadian Partnership Against Cancer
- Claire de Oliveira, Expert Lead, Canadian Partnership Against Cancer
- Craig Earle, Program Director, Health Services Research, Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
- Mary Gospodarowicz, Medical Director, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
- Eva Grunfeld, Chair, Chronic Conditions Institute Advisory Board for Canadian Institutes for Health Research
- Ari Meguerditchian, Staff Surgical Oncologist and Health Services Researcher, McGill University
- Mike Milosevic, Director of Research and Quality, Radiation Medicine Program, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and University Health Network
- Mike Lang, Medical Humanities Researcher, University of Calgary, Senior Consultant, Alberta Health Services
- Monika Krzyzanowska, Medical Oncologist and Health Services Researcher, Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
- Suzanne McGurn, Assistant Deputy Minister and Executive Officer of Ontario’s Public Drug Programs
- Malcolm Moore, President, BC Cancer Agency
- Geoff Porter, Expert Lead, Clinical Are, Canadian Partnership Against Cancer
- Michael Sherar, President and CEO, Cancer Care Ontario
- Marko Simunovic, Professor of Surgery, McMaster University and Juravinski Cancer Centre
- Nadine Strilchuk, Nurse Practitioner, Thoracic Oncology Program, Alberta Health Services
- John Srigley, Expert Lead, Pathology, Canadian Partnership Against Cancer
- Stuart Peacock, Co-Director, Canadian Centre for Applied Research in Cancer Control
- Eric Wasylenko, Medical Director, Health System Ethics and Policy, Health Quality Council of Alberta
- Tallal Younis, Clinician Investigator, Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre